Optimization of maintenance operations through automated grid inspection
Utilities all over the world face major challenges like aging infrastructure that can be addressed using digital solutions. Together with our utility client, we share the vision to leverage the digitalization of grid asset management to optimize capital expenditure, maintenance cost and risk through more informed and therefore more effective grid infrastructure stewardship.
bottom-line improvement in 5 years
Amortization of digitalization investment
Worldwide, aging infrastructure challenges utilities' ability to provide reliable and cost effective energy supply.
Within the broad range of technological innovations, solutions with actual value for business and operations have to be identified.
We supported our utility client in the digitalization of its grid asset management activities following a four step approach:
- We identified major pain points in grid maintenance today and developed digital use cases to address them.
- In a second step, we reviewed and prioritized these use cases based on expected technical and commercial benefits, feasibility as well as capital requirements.
- Then, a proof of concept study was performed to demonstrate the technical feasibility for the most attractive use cases.
- In a last phase, the developed pilot activities were scaled to reap the full business potential associated with the prioritized grid asset management use cases.
We created tangible impact for our client by developing ready to implement use cases with substantial business improvement potential. This contributed to our shared vision to leverage the digitalization of grid asset management to optimize capital expenditure, maintenance cost and risk through more informed and therefore more effective grid infrastructure stewardship.
- Vehicle-based asset scanning and provision of visual inspections through AI-enabled image recognition
- Replacement part list generation through image taking and analysis of associated asset registry
- Provision of full transparency with regards to vegetation management needs
- Generation of risk assessment through evaluation of social and environmental impacts of asset failures